PIP to reimburse hacked pDAI

I believe it’s a good idea. I think however there is scope to increase performance fees overall a bit so that treasury stays a bit higher. Treasury ultimately becomes staking profits over the 500k cap so it’s important to keep this as high as possible.

maybe 30% performance allocated:
5% to devs
20% to treasury
5% to exploit reimbursement fund (which gets paid to devs once exploit debts are paid)

1 Like

Yes maybe don’t go back to original and create a risk management fund, which is used for future hacks or to be staked in an insurance contract (like NXM).
Maybe even adaptive. Like the higher the difference between TVL and coverage from fund/insurance the higher the percentage which goes towards risk management.

What do you guys think?

PS: I lost a lot :frowning:

That is also pretty reasonable

Thanks. Those are good ideas. There’s definitely a fine balance between too aggressively trying to reimburse and crippling the project, and too little where pDAI isn’t satisfied.

While this is an important conversation and I’m looking forward to seeing what other ideas are put forward, it’s important to remember that the team is still putting every possible effort into recovery of the lost funds.

Your suggestion is pretty close to what’s being passed around internally. There’s also the option to divert some amount of pickle emissions to a reimbursement fund as well. It will be a delicate balance no matter what we do–too aggressive and we won’t be able to incentivize new users, too low and it will take far too long to make a dent in the losses.

2 Likes

Interesting idea to use some pickle emissions for the reimbursement. There can be a reimbursmentFarm that reimbursmentTokens can farm from until they are whole again. In that way the devs/treasury don’t take the hit (as least not directly).

Glad to hear a fragment of news from the “internal” group :zipper_mouth_face:

(sorry double-post I forgot to reply to yours)

1 Like

people have lost a lot of money ,is good to hear that there’s plans to help them… people need all the support they can get , and that most likely will be a positive things for pickle going forward and it will help attract more liquidity to the protocol

It’s really important that we manage expectations here. This hack was massive and efforts to reimburse funds cannot be so aggressive that they undermine our ability to regain our footing and grow. I’m fully in favor or a path towards reimbursement, but in all likelihood, it will be a long and slow process.

3 Likes

20M is too huge. This won’t work. Assuming that we have 10M TVL with 10% profit strategy, it will take about 300 years to cover the 20M USD.

Yearly compensation = 10M x 10%(profit) x 7.5%(reimburse) = 75K
20M / 75K = 266 years.

This was only to open up a discussion on how to proceed.

If we are reimbursing, then we must want Pickle to succeed first and foremost. Can’t reimburse without Pickle’s success like your calculation proves.

What does “success” exactly mean? I think getting to Harvest/Yearn size and growing to >$1 billion TVL would be success.

Now do your calculation again. (2.6 years, 1.3 years for $2b TVL, etc.)

I’m embarrassed to even admit the obscene amount I’ve lost. As the saying goes, “if you play with fire you get burned”. I wouldn’t expect any reimbursement but I’d expect the devs & community to continue doing their best to make pickle a long term success.

2 Likes

LOL locking this for <3 ing
sheeeat.

I think trying to reimburse from fees can become problematic because it will reduce the profitability of Pickle as a whole, which will impair its growth - and thus defeating the purpose.

How about a heavily timelocked emission of Pickle? Say, 20M worth of Pickle over, say, 10 years, with the amount adjusted periodically according to price.

(Full disclosure: I too lost some funds to this hack.)

If you’re going to say 10 years, you might as well say never. I lost money too, but I suppose my perspective is probably different than others who lost substantially more.

I feel like this is something we’re just going to have to wait to hear more from the core team. I wanted to believe it would be as simple as what Harvest is doing, but it likely won’t be.

1 Like

Not disagreeing with the core of your message, but I can’t help it but point out I said over 10 years not after 10 years :slight_smile:

Anyways, any compensation for our losses would come out of the benevolence of the devs and the community, so it has to be low impact to have any hope of gathering support.

I support this approach. There isn’t really another way to foster growth and compensate easily adopters who suffered loss without recovery.

Thus I am glad to hear that recovery is being prioritized.

It is too large at our current state. True. However, if we grow and implement best practices, we can be larger. Uniswap is currently greater than $1 Billion in TVL. So assuming they continue to grow and we grow, we can reach at least 100M TVL. This would be a 26 years. If the space truly explodes, then Pickle having a TVL of $1 Billion is feasible. Then we are talking 2.6 years.

In addition, we will have demonstrated social responsibility and ethical behavior that lays the foundation for this type of growth.

1 Like

Please consider @purplezky 's proposal: Curve USDN3CRV strategy where the 10% dev fee is used to compensate victims of the pDAI hack

It has the merit of distributing the entire 10% of the strategist’s rewards to redistribute them to the losers of the pDAI jar.
Other jars are possible going in this direction.

Let’s continue to offer new opportunities with attractive returns, in order to attract new and old investors.

1 Like

Edit: Just read about CORNICHON and the Yearn merger. I’m ecstatic.

https://medium.com/iearn/pickle-yearn-ferment-co-operation-dill-eec43b93d0ea

It seems discussion has slowed down on a plan to recover losses of the DAI hack.

I lost a substantial amount in this hack after supporting pickle on social media and participating in the farming since the first days of it’s launch. What really stings the worst is I and my friend had really championed pickles quality of code being above that of other farms so it’s a really hard pill to swallow to see this not being given a priority by the dev’s who were ultimately responsible through bad quality coding.

Great job to those that are discussing Curve USDN3CRV strategy where the 10% dev fee is used to compensate victims of the pDAI hack

2 Likes